Friday, November 30, 2012

But what about Miranda, Samantha, and Charlotte?

You guys, I have big news.

For the first time ever, I'm really excited about a new show on... the CW. 

The CW broadcasts the kinds of shows you might find on a normal network, except they have a bit of a homemade quality to them. Like, something is off about the production value. Or they don't actually use writers. For instance, I caught part of an episode of Hart of Dixie at the gym once, and I convinced myself that it wasn't actually Rachel Bilson because she's too famous to be in such a low-quality show. But, it was. And Rachel, I'm sad for you.

If you go to the CW's website (I'm currently there, for the first time ever), you'll notice the same thing - that's it not necessarily a terrible website... it's just not a good website. Something is just a little off, but you can't quite put your finger on what it is.

Anyway, no, I'm not excited about The Vampire Diaries or Emily Owens, M.D. But I am WAY more psyched than I should be for The Carrie Diaries, which is premiering soon.

This show is the sort-of prequel to Sex and the City, starring AnnaSophia Robb. If you're a 20something woman, you probably remember her from the made-for-TV movie "Samantha: An American Girl Holiday." 

The Carrie Diaries will follow 16-year-old Carrie Bradshaw through life as a teenager in suburban Connecticut in the mid-80s. During the first season, we'll also see her go to New York City for the first time, where she'll figure out, "yes, this is where I want to live as an adult and drive people crazy with my erratic behavior." 

The description on the CW's website describes Carrie's first trip to NYC this way: "Carrie's friends and family may have a big place in her heart, but she's fallen in love for the first time with the most important man in her life – Manhattan." And that's the most Sex-and-the-City phrase that anyone has ever written, including every line from the actual show.

But seriously, I mock Sex and the City and I do think it can be legitimately damaging for young girls and would never let my children watch it, but also, it was kind of great. Does that make me a terrible person? 

I think The Carrie Diaries will be kind of great, too. Not like, HBO-great, but like, maybe Gossip Girl-great. A show that's a little too good to be on the CW, but just barely. If you haven't seen it yet (and you probably haven't, because again, we're talking about the CW here), here's a preview for The Carrie Diaries:


So let's be honest. While Sex and the City was a pretty good show, the most compelling reason to watch was to find out what Carrie was wearing. Adult Carrie had an amazing - if often insane - fashion sense, and based on some shots from the set of The Carrie Diaries, I think the fashions are going to be totally 80s and just as amazing.

Who will be watching with me in January? 

Vision in tulle: AnnaSophia Robb's black dress on The Carrie Diaries set evoked memories of Sarah Jessica Parker's famous pink and ivory tulle outfit from the original Sex and the City

Annasophia Robb - AnnaSophia Robb and Ellen Wong Film 'The Carrie Diaries'



No comments:

Post a Comment